Full Day Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve Safari
Ready to take to the Bush on an Exciting Full Day Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve Safari, in the heart of KwaZulu Natal South Africa. We depart daily into this magnificent Hluhluwe Game Reserve and we would be delighted should you decide to Join Us.
Full Day Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve Safari: Tour Description
This Full Day Big 5 Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve Safari is set in the heart of KwaZulu Natal South Africa and is the most idyllic way to enjoy this magnificent Big 5 Reserve, the oldest proclaimed game reserve in Africa. Pick Up from your Hotel in St Lucia or alternatively meet us at the Nyalazi Gate (Umfolozi Game Reserve)
Cost: R1400.00 p/person
Duration: +/- 9 Hours
Departs: 5:00 am
Group Size: Max 9 passengers per vehicle
Included: All conservation Levies, Breakfast, Bush Lunch and Refreshments
Conducted in an Open Game Drive Safari Vehicle
Full Day Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve Safari - Trip Details
This the most popular safari offers one a real feel of this magnificent game reserve. The Hluhluwe Game Reserve, with its rolling hills, and open Savannah grasslands it remains an incredibly scenic reserve and with its incredible history, it's sure to be an incredible day for a Safari. Established in 1895 the Hluhluwe Game Reserve is world renown for its Save the Rhino (operation Rhino) campaign in the early 1960's when less than 100 Rhinos roamed the planet.
Animals found within Hluhluwe Game Reserve
1,500 white rhino and 360 black rhino, buffalo, elephant, lion and leopard, blue wildebeest, zebra, giraffe water-buck, nyala, kudu, bushbuck, warthog, cheetah, hyena, and 23,000 impala and 300 species of birds have been recorded. With 96000 hectares to explore we travel within the oldest proclaimed game reserve in Africa. The reserve world is re-known for its conservation of Black and White Rhino just to imagine less than 120 years ago less than 100 Rhino's existed worldwide. Today the reserve boasts hundreds of Black Rhino and of the largest population of White Rhino in the world.
What to bring along:
Binoculars, Camera with spare batteries if possible, memory cards, light jacket or pullover.
Full Day Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve Safari - Trip Highlights
- 96000 hectares of beauty to explore
- Comfortable Open Game Drive Safari Vehicle
- Experienced and Passionate Rangers
- Big 5 Wildlife Reserve
- Bush Breakfast, Bush Lunch, and Refreshments
- Hluhluwe Game Reserve is the oldest proclaimed game reserve in Africa
Full Day Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve Safari - Overview
Its an early start, should you be overnighting in the town of St Lucia then we will pick you up at 5:00 and transfer you to the game reserve free of charge. Alternatively, we will meet you at the game reserve gate at 6:00. Your personal guide for the day will give you an introduction to the reserve the animal species that are found within the reserve and the intended area that you will be traveling too.
6:00 am Climb aboard our luxurious Open Game Drive Vehicle and you are off to go in search of the Big 5, Cheetah and Wild Dog to name but just a few of the incredible species found within the reserve.
8:00 am Breakfast and piping hot Coffee
12:00/1:00 pm Lunch (traditional South African barbecue)
2:30 pm We start heading back to the gate
With memory cards full and friendships built we drop you off at the gate or transfer you back to St Lucia.
Full Day Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve Safari
Ready to Book Online, simply search for the Date Below and Book Today
Ready to Inquire simply drop us a Email
Hluhluwe Game Reserve - Facts & Information
- The Hluhluwe Game Reserve (HIP) is also known as the Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Park or Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park
- The size of the park is enormous in comparison to other national parks within KwaZulu Natal and is actually the largest state-run park within the province
- 96000 hectares or 960 square kilometers in total, the Hluhluwe Game Reserve side is 24000 hectares while the Imfolozi Game Reserve is a whopping 72000 hectares in size.
- The two parks namely the Hluhluwe and the Umfolozi were originally separated by a corridor which meant that you could not venture into both parks at the same time.
- In 1989 the corridor was incorporated into the park and finally one may now enjoy both sides of the park with a single entry.
- The entirety means now that one may experience 84 types of mammals, up to 400 species of birds, and 1200 plant species.
- The park was officially proclaimed in 1895 and is one of the oldest in Africa.
- The northern section (Hluhluwe) has a hilly topography with a maximum altitude of 542 meters above sea level.
- The southern section (Imfolozi) is primarily grasslands, acacia savannah, and woodlands.
- The park is best known for Save the Rhino campaign when less than 100 Rhinos roamed the planet. A visit to the centenary center offers some insight into the methods developed and ones that are still utilized today for game capture and transfer of these unique animals.
- In 1982 Elephants were reintroduced into the park primarily from the Kruger National Park.
- It is estimated that the park boasts a population of 700 Elephants currently however not wanting to exceed unsuitable levels of Elephants conservation is currently employing means of contraception for these animals.
- The park is also home to a magnificent pride of 120 Lions.
- Other unique re-introduction of predators include the likes of Wild Dogs in 1980, Cheetah in 1966
Join Us & Learn more on a Full Day Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve Safari
iSimangaliso Wetland Park was proclaimed as a world heritage site in 1999. The area is enormous and stretches from St Lucia in the South to the border of Mozambique in the North. This Tour will be conducted in the Eastern Shores of the park. Tours depart daily and may also be conducted as either early morning or late afternoon tours.